Silvia L. Coulter Principal
Office: (978) 526-8316 | Mobile: (617) 697-4869
Silvia Coulter is a Co-founding Principal of LawVision Group and Adjunct Professor at George Washington University, College of Professional Studies in the Masters in Law Firm Management Program. Silvia is widely regarded as one of the legal industry’s most experienced business development, leadership and organizational culture experts. Her experience includes working as a former strategic account executive and sales leader at a Fortune 50 company, a chief marketing and business development officer of two global law firms, and consultant and facilitator to firms across the globe.
Law firm leaders rely on Silvia’s experience and assistance with leadership development, culture assessments and business development strategy. In 2010 she was given the highest recognition in the industry among her peer group and was inducted into the Legal Marketing Hall of Fame. She is a co-founder of the Legal Sales and Service Organization (www.legalsales.org) and a Past Elected President of the Legal Marketing Association and a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management. She is a frequent speaker and facilitator at law firm retreats and legal industry meetings.
- Developed and teach curriculum for the Marketing, Business Development and Client Service course at George Washington University’s Masters in Law Firm Management Program.
- Developed and teach the Coaching Certification Program for the Legal Sales and Service Organization.
- Conducted a leadership study and related programming for a global firm’s practice leaders.
- Facilitated a partner retreat focused on resolving partnership issues, compensation and collaboration across the firm and its practices and offices.
- Facilitated a global leaders’ program aimed at collaboration and existing client retention strategy through cross-selling.
- Developed and conducted a SAM (Strategic Account Management) program to refine a global firm's overall key client strategy. This included developing an overall framework for team leaders, team members, meeting agenda, training and overall plans goals, measures and outcomes. Helped the firm to drive upwards of 25% increase in overall revenue from its specific target clients.
- Assisted a global 25 firm with its client retention and growth strategy by conducting a series of senior-level customized client feedback interviews to strengthen the firm's client retention and growth opportunities.
- Successfully launched a legal process improvement project for a firm's most significant practice group. This included legal work re-engineering; a strategic sales plan for reaching out to target clients with a new value proposition and overall pricing strategy.
- Conducted marketing audits for several global 100 firms. Developed new roles, responsibilities and an overall more comprehensive sales and marketing organization to provide stronger support to its global offices.
- Reviewed and updated a strategic go-to-market plan including existing plan analysis; review of alignment with existing clients (representing 85% of firm’s current market share across they key industries); competitive analysis and market share penetration.
- Helped partners to deliver over $3 million in new revenue through a 12-month senior partner sales coaching program.
- Conducted a business development analysis for two merging firms that resulted in mapping a view of the merged firm's key clients and key target markets.
- Contributor, “Building Rainmakers” by David King Keller, PhD, published by American Bar Association (2016)
- Chapter contributor in "Leaders in Legal Business," published by HG.org (2015)
- “The Women Lawyer's Rainmaking Game: How to Build a Successful Law Practice,” published by Thomson Reuters/West Legal Education (2013/2014 ed)
- "Effective Leadership: How Do You Measure Up?" Marketing the Law Firm (July 2017)
- Inside/Outside Counsel Magazine, Monthly Column Editor (2014 - 2016)
- "How to Create a Collaborative Law Firm Culture," Independent Business Law Firm (Dec 2016)
- "Growing the Pie and the Talent through Organizational Effectiveness," co-authored with Geoff Schuler, Practice Innovations (Oct 2016)
- "How to Create a Collaborative Law Firm Culture," Marketing The Law Firm (Oct 2016)
- "Thoughts on Building Cross-Generational Leadership in Client Relationships," Interview in The National Law Review (Dec 2015)
- "Are Lawyers Listening And Leading?" Marketing The Law Firm (Oct 2015)
- Landslide, An ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law publication, "Client Retention and Growth: Driving Your Firm's Success by Engaging with Clients," (July/Aug 2015)
- Expert Opinion in "3 Tips for Law Firms with Sluggish Revenue," Law 360 (July 2015)
- "Law Firm Business Professionals: New Roles, New Titles, New Respect?" Hong Kong Lawyer (May 2015)
- "Connecting with Law Firm Clients and Building Strong Relationships," Marketing the Law Firm (Feb 2014)
- "The Power of a List and a Written Plan," Legal Marketing Launch (Dec 2015)
- LSSO RainDance Conference, "Coaching Advantage: A Field Guide" (June 2017)
- Marketing Partner Forum, Event Co-Chair, "Defining Strategy: A Marketing Partner Management Workshop" (Jan 2017)
- The Law Firm COO & CFO Forum, Pre-Conference Workshop Chair (Oct 2016)
- Webinar, "Creating a Culture of Collaboration with Clients and your Firm" (Sept 2016)
- Marketing Partner Forum, “Legal Industry Trends: A Data-Driven Dive on Legal Marketing and Business Development Across the Industry" (Jan 2016)
- Educational Conference, "Rejuvenating Your Leadership Role: Building and Strengthening Relationships In and Out of Your Firm" (Oct 2015)
- Webinar, "Mind the Gap - Conducting and Effective Marketing Audit to Build Your Team's Success" (July 2015)
- Webinar, "Turning Key Clients into Strategic Accounts" (July 2015)
- LSSO RainDance Conference, "Client Teams: Lead or Get Out of the Way" (June 2015)
- ACC Northeast Chapter Annual Meeting, "The Law Firm Landscape" (April 2015)
- Meritas Annual Meeting, "Key Marketing and Business Development Trends" (April 2015)
- Marketing Partner Forum, “Legal Industry Trends: A Data-Driven Dive on Legal Marketing and Business Development Across the Industry" (Jan 2015)
- ABA Women RainMakers Mid-Career Workshop, Business Development Coaching Session (Nov 2014)
- College of College of Law Practice Management Futures Conference, Facilitator (Oct 2014)
- LEGUS Global Network, "Associate Business Development: Tips and Tactics" (July 2014)
- LMA Tech Conference West, "Applying Process Improvement Techniques to Boost Your Firm and Grow Your Business" (June 2013)
- Marketing Partner Forum, “Marketing and Business Development Study Results” and “From Sherpa to Guide: Driving Revenue through Sales Coaching” (Jan 2014)
Professional Associations & Boards
- Adjunct Faculty, George Washington University College of Professional Studies, Masters in Law Firm Management Program
- Board member and Co-founder, The Legal Sales and Service Organization
- Elected Fellow, College of Law Practice Management
- Editorial Board Member, Practice Innovations, pubished by Thomson/West (2005 to current)
- Editorial Board Member, Marketing for Lawyers, ALM publication (2001-2017)
- Editor-in-Chief, Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Report, ALM Publication (1999-2012)
- Committee Member, ABA Law Practice Management, Women Rainmakers Section (2007-2009)
- Elected Board Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Foundation (2005-2007)
- Elected Board Member, Patriots’ Trail Girl Scouts (2005-2007)
- Elected President, Legal Marketing Association (2001)
Awards & Recognitions
- 2010 Inductee, Legal Marketing Association Hall of Fame Award
- Leadership Development Certification, Human Synergistics
- Organizational Culture Certification, Human Synergistics
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Certified Facilitator, McNellis Planning