Silvia L. Coulter Principal
Office: (978) 526-8316 | Mobile: (617) 697-4869
Silvia Coulter is a founding Principal of LawVision Group and leads the firm’s Client Development and Strategic Growth Practice. Law firms rely on Silvia’s substantial experience in collaborating with them on their business development and key client retention and growth strategies, client service strategies and process improvement initiatives.
Prior to co-founding LawVision, Silvia chaired the Client Development Practice at Hildebrandt. She is a recognized leader in law firm business development strategy and is a frequent speaker at legal industry conferences, and law firm retreats. Silvia has spent twenty years as a consultant to the industry and has served as chief marketing and business development officer at two Global 50 firms. She is an adjunct faculty member of the Law Firm Management Master’s Degree Program at the George Washington University College of Professional Studies.
- Developed and conducted a SAM (Strategic Account Management) program to refine a firm's overall key client strategy. This included developing an overall framework for team leaders, team members, meeting agenda, training and overall plans goals, measures and outcomes. Helped the firm to drive upwards of 25% increase in overall revenue from its specific target clients.
- Assisted a global 25 firm with its client retention and growth strategy by conducting a series of senior-level customized client feedback interviews to strengthen the firm's client retention and growth opportunities.
- Successfully launched a legal process improvement project for a firm's most significant practice group. This included legal work re-engineering; a strategic sales plan for reaching out to target clients with a new value proposition and overall pricing strategy.
- Conducted marketing audits for several global 100 firms. Developed new roles, responsibilities and an overall more comprehensive sales and marketing organization to provide stronger support to its global offices.
- Helped partners to deliver over $3 million in new revenue through a 12-month senior partner sales coaching program.
- Conducted a business development analysis for two merging firms that resulted in mapping a view of the merged firm's key clients and key target markets.
- Contributor, “Building Rainmakers” by David King Keller, PhD, published by American Bar Association (2016)
- Chapter contributor in "Leaders in Legal Business," published by HG.org (June 2015)
- “The Women Lawyer's Rainmaking Game: How to Build a Successful Law Practice,” published by Thomson Reuters/West Legal Education (2013/2014 ed)
- Inside/Outside Counsel Magazine, Monthly Column Editor (2014 - 2016)
- "How to Create a Collaborative Law Firm Culture," Independent Business Law Firm (December 2016)
- "Growing the Pie and the Talent through Organizational Effectiveness," co-authored with Geoff Schuler, Practice Innovations (October 2016)
- "How to Create a Collaborative Law Firm Culture," Marketing The Law Firm (October 2016)
- "Thoughts on Building Cross-Generational Leadership in Client Relationships," Interview in The National Law Review (December 2015)
- "Are Lawyers Listening And Leading?" Marketing The Law Firm (October 2015)
- Landslide, An ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law publication, "Client Retention and Growth: Driving Your Firm's Success by Engaging with Clients," (July/August 2015)
- Expert Opinion in "3 Tips for Law Firms with Sluggish Revenue," Law 360 (July 2015)
- "Law Firm Business Professionals: New Roles, New Titles, New Respect?" Hong Kong Lawyer (May 2015)
- "Connecting with Law Firm Clients and Building Strong Relationships," Marketing the Law Firm (February 2014)
- “New Opportunities in the Legal Industry,” Marketing The Law Firm (October 2013)
- “Tips from Global In-House Counsel On How to Add Value,” Marketing The Law Firm (August 2013)
- “The Role of Information Resources in Strategic Account Management and Key Client Planning,” Practice Innovations (July 2013)
- “Process Improvement and the Legal Work Product,” Practice Innovations (March 2013)
- “Sharpening Your Law Firm’s Go-To-Market Sales Strategy” with James Cranston, LawVision Newsletter (January 2013)
- "The Power of a List and a Written Plan," Legal Marketing Launch (December 2015)
- 24th Annual Marketing Partner Forum, Event Co-Chair, "Defining Strategy: A Marketing Partner Management Workshop" (January 2017)
- The 15th Annual Law Firm COO & CFO Forum, Pre-Conference Workshop Chair (October 2016)
- Webinar, "Creating a Culture of Collaboration with Clients and your Firm" (September 2016)
- 23nd Annual Marketing Partner Forum, “Legal Industry Trends: A Data-Driven Dive on Legal Marketing and Business Development Across the Industry" (January 2016)
- Educational Conference, "Rejuvenating Your Leadership Role: Building and Strengthening Relationships In and Out of Your Firm" (October 2015)
- Webinar, "Mind the Gap - Conducting and Effective Marketing Audit to Build Your Team's Success" (July 2015)
- Webinar, "Turning Key Clients into Strategic Accounts" (July 2015)
- LSSO RainDance Conference, "Client Teams: Lead or Get Out of the Way" (June 2015)
- ACC Northeast Chapter Annual Meeting, "The Law Firm Landscape" (April 2015)
- Meritas Annual Meeting, "Key Marketing and Business Development Trends" (April 2015)
- 22nd Annual Marketing Partner Forum, “Legal Industry Trends: A Data-Driven Dive on Legal Marketing and Business Development Across the Industry" (January 2015)
- 2014 ABA Women RainMakers Mid-Career Workshop, Business Development Coaching Session (November 2014)
- College of College of Law Practice Management Futures Conference, Facilitator (October 2014)
- LEGUS Global Network, "Associate Business Development: Tips and Tactics" (July 2014)
- LMA Tech Conference West, "Applying Process Improvement Techniques to Boost Your Firm and Grow Your Business" (June 2013)
- 21st Annual Marketing Partner Forum, “Marketing and Business Development Study Results” and “From Sherpa to Guide: Driving Revenue through Sales Coaching” (January 2014)
- Thomson Reuters/West Legal Ed Marketing Partner Forum, “Marketing and Business Development Study Results” (January 2013)
- Legal Marketing Technology Conference West, “Driving Revenue Through Process Improvement” (October 2013)
- ALA, Chicago Chapter Author Series, “Refining Your Firm’s Sales Strategy” (October 2013)
- College of College of Law Practice Management Futures Conference, Facilitator (October 2013)
Professional Associations & Boards
- Adjunct Faculty, George Washington University College of Professional Studies, Masters in Law Firm Management Program
- Board member and Co-founder, The Legal Sales and Service Organization
- Fellow, College of Law Practice Management
- Editor-in-Chief, Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Report, ALM Publication (1999-2012)
- Committee Member, ABA Law Practice Management, Women Rainmakers Section (2007-2009)
- Elected Board Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Foundation (2005-2007)
- Elected Board Member, Patriots’ Trail Girl Scouts (2005-2007)
- Elected President, Legal Marketing Association (2001)
- Editorial Board Member, Marketing for Lawyers, ALM publication
- Editorial Board Member, Practice Innovations, published by Thomson/West
Awards & Recognitions
- 2010 Inductee, Legal Marketing Association Hall of Fame Award
- Leadership Development Certification, Human Synergistics (2015)
- Organizational Culture Certification, Human Synergistics (2015)
- Six Sigma Green Belt (2007) Certified Facilitator, McNellis Planning (1998)