Michael D. Short Principal
Mobile: (202) 255-1197
Michael Short is a founding Principal of LawVision Group. He counsels law firms around the world on strategic, management, financial, and operational issues. His client base ranges from small, “local” firms in many countries to large, multi-national operations.
Over the course of his nearly three-decade long career as a consultant to the legal industry, Michael has worked with well over 600 law firms. The focus of his current client work is related to the development and implementation of strategies for firms, practices, and client or industry teams. Much of the remainder is related to strategy implementation issues, such as:
- Partner compensation systems, including LawVision Group’s Survey on Partner Compensation Systems;
- Law firm governance structures;
- Client and leadership succession planning;
- Profitability analyses, including the development or improvement of the basic reporting function and the training of Partners on the appropriate use of profitability reports;
- Innovation and innovative thinking as it applies to any law firm’s work processes;
- Law firm mergers and acquisitions, including the development of “target lists, financial analyses and modeling, merger negotiations, and integration at all levels across a combined firm; and
- Personal consulting to Managing Partners/Law Firm Leaders on a monthly basis.
Michael also has significant experience with assisting law firms that come to LawVision in the midst of a crisis or future-threatening situation.
Michael strives to establish long-term relationships with each client, based on his ongoing role as a trusted confidant and counselor across all levels of the firm.
When not working on client projects, Michael is a regular blog contributor, a frequent speaker on leadership and management topics, and a constant researcher and analyst on the ever-evolving business of law.
Prior to co-founding LawVision, Michael has practiced with Hildebrandt Baker Robbins (at Thomson Reuters), Hildebrandt International, and the Law Firm Services Group at PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Joe Altonji, The Independent Business Law Firm (December 2016)
- "Client Relationship Training: A Strategic Challenge Facing Many Law Firms," LawVision Group (updated July 2015)
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Joe Altonji, Managing Partner Series, Thomson Reuters (March 2015)
- "Winners and Losers: A Special Report" with Michael Short
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Joe Altonji, LawVision Newsletter (January 2013)
- NALP's Professional Development Institute, moderator for "Brave New World: Managing the Impact of Law Firm Mergers" (December 2015)
- LawVision Group Workshop, "Using the Firms Compensation System to Enhance Strategic Success" (October 2013)
- Webinar, "Building Strategic Resilience and Strength: A New Take on Law Firm Strategic Development" (September 2013)