Joseph B. Altonji Principal
Office: (312) 466-5648 | Mobile: (847) 867-2220
Joseph Altonji is a founding Principal of LawVision Group and has spent over 30 years consulting to law firms and their leaders both in the United States and internationally. Prior to launching LawVision, Joe spent 22 years with Hildebrandt Baker Robbins, and its predecessor firm, Hildebrandt International, as a strategist and senior Managing Director. He was a senior member and Co-Chair of Hildebrandt Baker Robbins Law Firm Strategy and Structure practice, and Chair of the Hildebrandt Baker Robbins Law Vision Coordinating Committee, which was responsible for systematically rethinking the business of law.
Joe has been a leader in advancing law firm strategic and management development, and a strong advocate of fundamental business model change in response to significant change in the economic conditions of the industry. He has consulted with hundreds of law firms on improving their strategic focus and business management on both a firm and practice level. Joe concentrates his practice on helping firms clearly define and subsequently achieve their strategic objectives, including alignment of firm governance, management and compensation systems with firm strategy, mergers and other areas. In addition, he advises firms in crisis situations, helping them reestablish economic and practice stability, and long-term strategic integrity. He is a frequent author and speaker on topics related to law firm strategy, governance, compensation and economic performance.
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Mike Short, The Independent Business Law Firm (December 2016)
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Michael Short, Managing Partner Series, Thomson Reuters (March 2015)
- "Winners and Losers: A Special Report" with Michael Short
- “Competing in the Future –The Need for New Thinking on Law Firm Strategic Advantages” with Michael Short, LawVision Newsletter (January 2013)
- “Addressing the Fraying Partnership,” Law Firm Partnership & Benefits Report (October 2012)
- “Compensation Transition - Business Transition in a Post-Unfunded Liability,” Law Firm Partnership & Benefits Report (March 2012)
- Florida Association of Managing Partners, Presenter (Feb 2017)
- The 3rd Annual Midwest Legal Executive Forum: A Regional Summit on the Business of Law, Moderator for "The Company We Keep: New Responses to Partner Compensation & Origination Challenges in the Firm" (Nov 2015)
- The 2nd Annual West Coast Legal Executive Forum, Moderator for "The Company We Keep: New Responses to Lawyer Compensation & Origination Challenges in the Firm" (March 2015)
- ALM's The New Partner Forum, "Staying Ahead of the Future: Managing Your Career for Constant Change" (Nov 2014)
- NALSC 2014 Fall Symposium, Keynote Speaker (Oct 2014)
- The 2nd Annual Midwestern Law Firm Leaders Forum, "Legal Industry Trends & Development - A Managing Partner Roundtable" (Oct 2014)