Craig Brown Senior Consultant
Office: (949) 369-9400 | Mobile: (949) 606-4297
Craig Brown uses his experience as a lawyer, business developer and seminar leader to train and coach lawyers to build relationships that lead to strong books of business and satisfying careers.
Widely recognized as an authority on building law firm clientele, Craig has worked with law firms for over twenty-five years in the areas of business development, training, coaching, strategy, knowledge management, research and as a practicing attorney. Prior to affiliating with LawVision, he formed and operated The Motivera Group, an independent business development consultancy for law firms and Modena Seminars, a seminar-based training company focused on law firm seminar development and training.
Craig has developed and conducted hundreds of action-oriented seminars and workshops for law firms and businesses using leading edge adult-learning methodologies. He is the co-developer of the Lawyer Behavior Profile™ used by hundreds of lawyers to identify and apply key business development strengths. He also co-developed LateralAdvantage™, a groundbreaking, law firm-centric tool designed to assess the natural business development acumen of law firm lateral partner candidates.
Before building his training companies, Craig worked as a sales consultant at Thomson West where he was named consultant of the year for three consecutive years. He worked as part of a launch team that took an initiative from startup to 80% of market share in under four years. Prior to that, he was a lawyer in private practice in California.
Craig is a sought-after speaker at law firm retreats and industry events and is a guest lecturer at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and at the University of California, Irvine School of Law.
- "Law Firm Business Development: How to Stop Procrastinating," The National Law Review (Dec 2016)
- "Storytelling for Business Developers," Strategies (July/Aug 2016)
- Expert Opinion in "Juris Prudence: Changes to the legal market are motivating attorneys to bootstrap," Comstock's (Oct 2014)
- Legal Sales and Service Organizations RainDance Conference, “Coaching Advantage, A Field Guide©: Building Coaching Programs that Motivate your Lawyers to Act" (May 2017)
- Webinar - Panelist, "New Approaches to Sales and Business Development in the Law Firm," (Aug 2016)
- Legal Sales and Service Organizations RainDance Conference, "Perfecting Your Presentation with SHED," (June 2016)
- 23nd Annual Marketing Partner Forum, “Carpe Diem: Transforming Sales Relationships through Pipeline Management" (Jan 2016)
- Webinar, "Getting a Foot in the Door: Teaching Lawyers How to Approach New Prospects without Using Skill, Luck or Charm" (Nov 2015)
- LMA Continuing Marketing Education Conference, "Power of the Pipe: The One Thing That Makes All the Difference" (Nov 2015)
- Legal Marketing Technology Conference, "Rapid-Fire CRM: The No Spin Assessment of CRM Solutions" (Oct 2015)
- Webinar, "Overcoming Lawyer Business Development Fears" (Oct 2015)
- Webinar, "From Sherpa to Guide - Using Lawyer Strengths to Create Law Firm Business Developers" (Sept 2015)
- Master of Ceremonies, Legal Sales and Service Organizations RainDance Conference (June 2015)
- LMA Annual Conference, "From Sherpa to Guide: Building Business Development Plans that Motivate your Lawyers to Act" (April 2015)
- Webinar, "Robust Rainmaking: Moving From Rejection to Resiliency" (Nov 2014)
- LMA Continuing Marketing Education Conference, "Getting a Foot in the Door: How to Approach New Prospects without Using Skill, Luck or Charm" (Sept 2014)
- State Bar of California and the Orange County City Attorneys Association, "Leveraging Gender Differences to Eliminate Advancement Bias" (June 2014)
- Master of Ceremonies, Legal Sales and Service Organizations RainDance Conference (June 2014)
- LMA - Southern California, "From Sherpa to Guide: Building Coaching Programs that Motivate Lawyers to Act" (March 2014)
- 21st Annual Marketing Partner Forum, "From Sherpa to Guide: Building Coaching Programs that Motivate Lawyers to Act" (Jan 2014)
- LMA - Bay Area, "Stop Being a Sherpa and Start Being a Guide: Coaching Lawyers to Overcome their Fears and Sell" (Jan 2014)
Awards & Recognitions
- Thomson West “Consultant of the Year” for three consecutive years
- West Publishing “Gold Key Club” Top Sales Representative for four consecutive years
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award for Trial Advocacy
- Varsity Coach of the Year, Boy Scouts of America, El Camino Real District, Orange County Council
Professional Associations & Boards
- Member, 2014 Board of Advisors, Legal Sales and Service Organization
- Member, 2013 Board of Directors, Southern California Legal Marketing Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Montgomery County Bar Association